Participation Requests & asset Transfers

The Community Empowerment (Scotland) Act 2015 introduces Participation Requests and Asset Transfers.  Participation Requests aim to extend and improve community participation in improving outcomes for communities. Asset Transfers introduce a right for community bodies to make requests to all local authorities, Scottish Ministers and a range of public bodies for any land or building they feel they could make better use of. 

More information on both of these processes is detailed below along with contact details for the Community Planning Partners.

Participation requests are a new means by which community groups can request to have a greater involvement in, and influence over, decisions and services that affect their communities and community lives.

Participation Requests A5 Leaflet – Double Sided v2

For more information on the process, the Scottish Community Development Centre (SCDC) have developed this guidance. The Scottish Government have also published guidance on the process.

To make a Participation Request, complete our request form and email to


Part 5 of the Community Empowerment Act introduces a right for community bodies to make requests to all local authorities, Scottish Ministers and a range of public bodies for any land or buildings they feel they could make better use of. They can request ownership, lease or other rights as they wish.

The public authorities must transparently assess requests against a specified list of criteria, laid out in the Act, and agree the request unless there are reasonable grounds for refusal.

The Scottish government have prepared guidance for community bodies on the asset transfer process. SCDC have also developed information on the Asset Transfer process which you can find on their website.

The Community Empowerment (Scotland) Act 2015, requires that we publish an annual report on Aberdeen City Council’s activity in relation to Participation Requests and Asset Transfers, you can find the 2017/2018 Annual report here.

To make an Asset Transfer Request, complete our request form and email to



Below is a list of contact details for the public services that participation requests and asset transfer requests  can be made to.

Public ServiceContact details
Aberdeen City Council

Participation requests

Contact: Neil Carnegie


Asset transfers

Contact: Stephen Booth


NHS Grampian

Contact: Public Involvement Team


Police Scotland

Inspector Rob Sturton, Kittybrewster Community Policing Team

Participation requests:

Asset transfers:

Scottish Environmental  Protection Agency

Contact: Anne Conrad / Neil Deasley


Scottish Fire and Rescue

Contact: Darren Riddell


Scottish Natural Heritage

Participation requests

Contact: Karen Morrison


Asset Transfer

Contact: John Kerr




Contact: Derick Murray